ISO 22301 Business Continuity Readiness:
Assisting organizations to implement a business continuity management system in preparation for obtaining a certification in accordance with the ISO 22301 standard.
An international oil & gas production company had failed consecutive business continuity audits and the board was determined to not only address the audit concerns, but also to adopt leading practices and demonstrate proficiency through certification. The Company presents a complex environment with many challenges to developing an integrated approach to BCMS, including:
- Multiple types of facilities, an onshore processing facility, oil export terminal, pipeline system LNG plant, and offshore platforms.
- There are more than 4,000 employees and contractors that are largely made up of expatriates;
- There are numerous risks and challenges related to the political environment, seismic activity, remoteness of location, lack of infrastructure, and extreme weather conditions.
There had been several attempts to develop a program and strides had been made within a few groups, however management was unsure how to turn those individual efforts into a cohesive management system capable of meeting the requirements of the ISO standard.
Enaxis partnered with business units and information technology to create and implement a management system that will continue to evolve and mature over time. Key areas of focus:
- Leadership and governance
- Facility and organizational risk assessment
- Business impact analysis
- Strategy selection
- Plan development
- Performance monitoring
- Continuous improvement
This was addressed through engagement with cross functional business stakeholders to raise awareness and address process gaps. Enaxis defined financial impacts of data and process gaps in order to prioritize efforts. In addition, Enaxis worked with stakeholders to define the reporting requirements needed to proactively monitor data quality.
The toolkit includes an ISO 22301 Checklist, risk assessment framework, BIA tool, document life-cycle tracker, etc.
The initiative resulted in the Company addressing all potential non-conformances, implementation of a robust BCMS and an eventual certification by an independent certifying body. Processes and controls were also implemented to promote continual improvement.